Saturday, February 28, 2015

Our Wedding

For Christmas, Matthew's grandma gave us a book with stories from her family history.  While reading it, I was touched by the record of her wedding day. Being married only a little over two months, I decided to write a blog post about our wedding. Hopefully this will be something that will be fun for Matthew and I to read, and be of interest to our future children and grandchildren. 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Wedding Date 

Matthew and I were married on December 18, 2014.  While talking about getting married, we considered doing it in late December or early January.  However, the 18th of December kept sticking out to us.

December 18th, 1980 was the day that my parents really stared their relationship.  Our family calls it “5th Avenue Day”.  While at the BYU bookstore, Dad saw Mom and her friend in line.  He asked them if they’d ever eaten a 5th Avenue candy bar.  Neither of them had, and Dad bought one for each of them.  While walking out of the bookstore, Dad got Mom’s number, and their relationship grew from there.  Mom still has the wrapper from that original 5th Avenue Candy. 

Ever since I can remember, we have celebrated December 18th by eating 5th Avenues and watching movies.  December 18th, 1980 was a significant day for the 
Hunt Family.  It felt right to be married on the same day that my parents fell for each other.  Matthew agreed with me and we planned on being married on December 18th, 2014 at 10:00 AM.

5th Avenues were served at our luncheon.

The Temple

Matthew and I met in the Bountiful, Utah temple, so it would have made sense for us to get married there.  But during our courtship, we went to the open house of the remodeled Ogden, Utah temple.  While going through the temple, I was awed by its beauty.  Walking through the bridal room I imagined myself in there.  Holding hands with my sweetheart while walking on the grounds of the Ogden temple confirmed to me that that is where I wanted to get married.  Matthew had the same feeling.  

Wedding Colors

I am surprised at how may people asked us what our wedding colors were going to be! 

I had spent most of my teenage years dreaming about my future wedding, and so I had plenty ideas of what I wanted.  For some reason I was really nervous to tell Matthew what colors I would like.  One day, I sent him a picture of colors I liked.  He liked them a lot!  We chose  were royal blue, sky blue, mint, and white. 


Photographer

As I've mentioned, I’ve dreamed about my wedding for a long time.  About six years ago, I came across Cascio Photography – a Utah photographer.  My best friend Raegan and I would spend hours looking at the bridals, engagement, and wedding albums Brittany Cascio put up.  After getting engaged, Mom called Brittany and scheduled an engagement session.  I was surprised that Mom remembered my favorite photographer!  Brittany did both our engagement and wedding photos, which Matthew and I love! 



Wedding Luncheon

We had our luncheon at the Grand View Reception Center in Ogden, literally across the street from the Ogden temple.  My mom put together the decorations.  We had tasty pork and chicken sandwiches, salad, potato casserole, fruit punch, and a dessert bar.  Matthew’s grandparents surprised us by getting hot chocolate for everyone while they waited for Matthew and I to finish taking pictures.

Matthew and I both performed musical numbers at the luncheon.  I have played the flute since I was eight years old, and Mom loved listening to me play.  For about a month before the wedding, Dad and I secretly practiced an arrangement of “I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus” for the flute and piano.  We pulled off the surprise!  Dad and I played together at the luncheon, bringing my sweet mom to tears.
Matthew began writing a song at my house a couple of days after we met.  That song developed as our relationship progressed.  He finished the song and sang it for me on my birthday.  He sang the song at our luncheon, and I remember feeling so lucky to have a man love me enough to write a song just for me.



Reception

We had our reception at the LDS Chapel Matthew and I went to for our YSA ward.  My mom did SO much preparation for the reception!  For our backdrop, we had a wooden palate with lights and plants.  The centerpieces were vases with twigs, water, and candles  (we went for a wooden-wintery theme).  The food was delicious!  We had hot chocolate, apple juice, donuts, cake bites, and so many other things that I don’t remember them all.  We were in line for two hours straight, with no break in the line.  I am so grateful for everyone who came to show support for our new adventure! 




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Over the last two months, Matthew and I have talked often about our wedding.  We wouldn’t change a thing about it!  While I will always cherish the details of our wedding, nothing is more important to me than being married in the House of God with His Authority: being in the temple with my best friend, knowing that our marriage would be eternal, was the highlight of that special day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment