Thursday, September 24, 2015

Why the name Emmalee


I don’t remember a time in my life where I didn’t look forward to being married and starting a family. I spent countless hours doodling my future family – drawing my future husband, usually four kids, and the family dog. I always had a list of potential names for my children. A few names came and went, but one always stuck: Emma.

I have loved the name Emma for a long time now. I love the Prophet Joseph Smith’s wife, Emma, but that wasn’t really why I wanted to have a daughter named Emma. I didn’t know the why of Emma until I met Matthew Havertz.

I knew very quickly that I wanted to marry Matthew. I was immediately drawn to him because of the spirit he carried. I could tell right away that he was a great man, one who loved the Lord completely. On our first date, we talked about our families. He told me about the passing of his mother when he was 11 years old, and that of his little sister when he was 17. I could tell that Matthew had a strong testimony about the Plan of Salvation. He knew that family relationships are “perpetuated beyond the grave.

Matthew's little sister, Emmalee
Matthew’s little sister who passed away is named Emmalee. When I found out about the spelling of her name, and as Matthew and I progressed in our relationship, it became clear to me why “Emma” had always been my favorite name. Matthew and I agreed that we would name our first daughter Emmalee, after his sister, and call her Emma.

The name Emma has become even more special to me as I learned about Emmalee.

Emmalee was diagnosed with liver cancer when she was eight, and died when she was nine years old. I never met her, but I feel a special love for her. My father in-law wrote about Emmalee’s life in his book Dragonfly Wings for Emmalee. When I read that book, I am amazed at the strength Emmalee had during such a trying experience. Throughout her fight with cancer, she was brave, honest, funny, and kind.
I feel honored to be able to name my daughter after such a remarkable girl. Matthew and I will teach Emma that she was named after someone who was brave, honest, fun, and kind.

I love the name Emma, and now I know why: I love Emmalee.

I am grateful for Heavenly Father’s tender mercies. He, through something as simple as a name, has brought heaven a little closer to my heart. The name Emma is now tied to two of my angels – my sister and my daughter.    

No comments:

Post a Comment